This last week while Mark was down at District Assembly, I had the unique privilege of cooking a meal for my parents, Kaley and me. Mark does such a great job of preparing wonderful home cooked meals, and enjoys it so much, that I have become very lazy in my cooking ability. So, last week I had to dust off the cookbooks and put my cooking abilities to the test.
One thing that has come about since having Kaley is the desire to make healthier choices in the eating department for all of us. It is funny how I work hard at making sure that she eats plenty of healthy vegetables, fruits and homemade food, yet for myself, I still reach for the processed and chemical filled unhealthy foods! When will I ever learn?!
Awhile ago, when I was doing up a batch of baby food, there was a recipe for a Haddock and vegetables dish in which you even had to make a homemade cheese sauce. It turned out so good that I decided to make it last week for dinner. Not only was it full of vegetables, but the fish was nice and flaky and very tasty! I can now add another recipe to my box:) (Although, I did need to call Mark and ask about spices to add...he is the genius and we are so happy for that!!!)
Here's the recipe. It makes 1 8oz. portion:
Fillet of Fish Mornay with Vegetables
1 tbsp. butter
2/3 cup leeks, washed and finely sliced
1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
2/3 cup broccoli, cut into small florets
1/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
4 oz. cod, hake, sole or haddock fillets, skinned
2/3 cup milk
3 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
a sprig of parsley
Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/3 cup grated cheddar or Edam cheese
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots, cover with water, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
2. Meanwhile, put the fish in a pan with the milk, peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the fish is cooked. Set aside, reserving the cooking liquid. Discard the flavorings.
3. To prepare the sauce, melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the fish cooking liquid, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until melted.
4. Drain the vegetables and mix with the flaked fish and cheese sauce. **If making this for baby food, blend to a puree of the desired consistency for young babies. Provided the vegetables are tender, this can be mashed or chopped for older babies who are starting to chew. This can be frozen and make into 8 one ounce portions.
ummm Bren, where's the recipe???!!! LOL
ReplyDelete