Sunday, May 23, 2010

London Fog Drink


I found my new favourite drink and it is a great alternative to cappucino and lattes. With this pregnancy in particular, I haven't always been able to drink coffee, so I have had to find alternatives for a *special drink*. I was at a local coffee house with a friend awhile back and ordered a London Fog which is essentially a cappucino with tea instead of coffee. I thought I would give it a try and it was really good! When I went to Starbucks a couple of weeks later, I found out that this is more common of a drink than I thought. I ordered one and took my first sip and it tasted nothing like the drink I had at the other place. I just had to figure out how to make this at home - so I did. I had to do some experimenting before I got it just right. When it came to the tea, I found no name brand the best. Organic Earl Grey tea was too strong of a flavour, and there was no difference taste wise between no name and the more expensive brands. Here is the recipe in case you want to try it (and so that I don't forget how).

London Fog Recipe
1 Earl Grey tea bag
2-3 tbsp. of vanilla syrup depending on taste
1/4 c. of steamed/frothed milk -I use 2%

Directions:
1. Steep one bag of Earl Grey tea for approximately 5 minutes, or as long as it takes you to prepare the rest of the drink.


2. While the tea is steeping, heat the milk for 45 seconds. When it is heated, froth the milk until there is a nice layer or foam on top.


3. When the tea is steeped to your liking, put it 2-3 tbsp. of vanilla syrup. 3 tbsp. is very sweet, so start with less and add more if you need to.


4. Pour in the heated milk. When there is about 1/4" of space left in the cup, stop pouring the liquid milk in and just spoon the foam on top. Voila! Your drink is done. Now find a relaxing chair to sit down and enjoy your little cup of tea!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, You laid the recipe out so nicely on here! I always thought they were called like Tea Latte's or something. ;o)

    ReplyDelete