Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our Afternoon Excursion

Today we had one of those spontaneous afternoons that ended up better than anything we could have planned. Mark had a wedding to do this afternoon and Kaley and I were just going to spend the afternoon at home. About 15 minutes before he left, I jokingly asked Kaley if she wanted us to go to a wedding. We talked about it and decided that we would go with Mark, and while he was officiating the wedding, we would find a park and have a snack and play a bit and then go get Mark when he was done. So, we packed up a snack, grabbed the diaper bag and left.

After we dropped off Mark, we drove a bit and found a beach in Innisfil with a play area! I had a blanket in the car and a towel, so we put everything in the stroller and found a place in the shade to have our snack. Kaley kept looking at the water and "talking" about it with me, so after we were done, we took off our shoes and socks, rolled up our pants and walked across the beach.

I hadn't planned on going to the beach, so I wasn't prepared at all for getting wet, other than the towel I had in the car. The first time the water hit her feet, she went up on her tippy toes and squealed like a little girl. The waves covered her feet a couple more times and then she said "all done" and walked onto the beach to the play area. Then, she looked at the water and decided she wanted to try it out again. This time she went in a little further to her calves. She spent a little more time in the water this time and laughed and squealed as the water splashed on her legs. Again, she said "all done" and went back to play on the slide. Then, after a little bit, she looked at the water and made a bee line for it. THIS time, however, she decided that she wanted to bend over and touch it with her hands. Well, as you can guess, a wave came at that same time and got her drenched from her neck down. After that, she sat down in the water and splashed and had a great time!!

It didn't matter how wet or how dirty she got, as with any diaper bag, we were prepared for ANYTHING! I've always thought why I feel the need to bring so much stuff in the diaper bag, and now I know why! The best part is, since we changed to cloth diapers, it meant that I had a waterproof cloth bag in the diaper bag which worked great for the drenched clothes. Kaley got all cleaned up and dried off and we headed back to pick Mark up.

It was such a fun afternoon together. Kaley had the time of her life, got a nice LONG bath tonight and there are currently clean towels and blankets in the car, and a fresh clean outfit in her diaper bag just ready for our next spontaneous excursion:)

1 comment: