Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Lesson in Tithing


As most of you know, our oldest daughter Kaley turned three a couple of weeks ago. Along with the many gifts that she received, she also received some money from her grandparents in the mail. She has received money before for gifts, but this is the first time that she really knew what it was and what it was used for. With all of the excitement going on, we decided to put it in a special place so that we wouldn't lose it and keep it until there was a good opportunity to use it.

We were getting all of the things ready that we needed for church on Sunday morning and I glanced up and saw the money laying on the shelf near the kitchen. Ding ding ding!!! This was the perfect opportunity to talk to her about the important life lesson of tithing! So, we got the money down and asked her if she remembered what that money was for. She did, and we explained that whenever we receive money, that we give a portion of it to God before we spend it on anything else. We then explained that she would put the money in the envelope at church and that during offering time, she would be able to put it in the plate. We said that her money would be used for helping others learn more about Jesus and the love he has for people.

I thought that this great life lesson would be received with welcome and open arms of a certain little three year old and that she would be excited to be able to put her tithe in the offering plate at church. Well, the lesson was not as warmly received as I thought it would be. Kaley got a sad look on her face and said, "But I don't want to give my money away, I want to keep it!" And, no amount of explaining or offering the bright side of this occasion did any good. She was quite adamant about not wanting to give her money away!!!

Needless to say, she did put her tithe in at church that morning, but I can't say that she was a cheerful giver:-). Little did Kaley know that her response wasn't all that different than how we as adults can sometimes view our money. I am, however, excited and thrilled to be able to see how God is going to bless that $.25 that she gave and use it to bring others to a closer walk with him. God is good, all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment