
Ever since getting into the whole cloth diapering thing, I have always wanted to try making my own diaper wipe solution. It seemed like such a simple thing to do and the logical next step after making the actual diapers. I had a big stack of cloth wipes that I made for Kaley when she was a baby, but I didn't really like the system that I tried back then. I pulled them out again this week determined to make it work, but easier this time. And, for those of you who know me best, I *hate* to have to go to the store to buy something that could easily be made at home.
There are a million and a half websites with ideas on how to make the solution, so this is not my original idea by any means. I got out my notes from the last time I tried this and ran across a website I had written down called Zany Zebra Designs. They had a whole page dedicated to cloth wipe solution recipes, and sure enough, 2 years later it can still be found here:
http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtmlThe basic idea of the recipe is to have
*oil
*soap
*Essential Oil and
*water
Aside from these basic ingredients, there are many different variations of this.
I choose to go with what I had in the house, so my recipe has olive oil, baby wash, Tea Tree oil and water.
Here is how I did it!

First, I got out my cloth wipes that I made out of the leftovers from the cloth diapers for Kaley. I made two kinds, the one on the left is just one piece of flannel cut into a rectangle to fit into a wipes container. I stitched around the perimeter of the flannel to keep it from unraveling in the wash. The one on the right is a bit thicker with about 5 pieces of flannel stitched together. Both worked great, but to do a lot of them to get started out, I would suggest the one of the left!

Here is all the equipment ready to go. An empty wipes container, glass bowl for mixing, 2 cups of water, cloth wipes, olive oil, baby wash, Tea tree oil, whisk and measuring spoons (not pictured).

I put the 2 cups of water in the bowl, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of baby wash, and 2 drops of Tea tree oil.

Then I whisked all of the ingredients together.

Then I filled half of the container with the cloth wipes and poured in enough solution to saturate the wipes.

Then, I filled the rest of the container up with more wipes and poured in more solution to cover those wipes. You may not use all of the solution. It is better to have them on the dryer side and add more if you need it, rather than having them too wet and having to wring them out before using them.

Then, just because I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago, I put a piece of scotch tape on the bottom of the container and wrote the date that I made the solution on. From what I've read, this is good for about a week, so now I know when I have to redo it.
This was simple, simple, simple! It took less than 5 minutes to make and the best part of it, is that is was FREE-made with ingredients that I had at home. Love it!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment