Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baked Bread...yum!


I absolutely love the smell and taste of fresh baked bread!

Much like the cloth diapers and homemade laundry detergent, I am a huge fan of being able to make those much needed items from the comfort of my own home- and making my own bread is just another thing that is so easy to make at home. I don't like to have to run out to the store every few days to pick up the necessities, and it is much easier on the budget to just make what I can at home. Trust me- if I could figure out a way to have our own chickens for eggs and a cow for milking, I would:-) I never really liked shopping before, but since having kids, I REALLY don't like having to go to the store more than I need to.

Considering having the time and the ease of making bread, I found that the easiest and cheapest way of making bread at home is to buy the frozen loaves. It is sooo easy and only costs about $1.20 per loaf. The bag of frozen dough was at first very hard to find and I only found two stores around us that carry it! The brand I buy has 5 frozen loaves and costs around $6.

Whenever we are running low on bread, I just go get a loaf from the freezer in the evening, spray a loaf pan with butter spray, and put in the frozen bread dough.
Then, I just cover it and let it thaw and rise over night.




In the morning, I set the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.



Voila! A loaf of bread ready to eat and a yummy smell of bread to linger throughout the house.


From the prices of bread around us, it is about 1/2 the price of the brand name bread, and about 1/3 less the price of the generic brand. My next step in the process is to use our bread machine to make my own frozen bread dough, which I bet is going to be even cheaper, but for now this works great for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment