Friday, March 26, 2010

The Baby's Heartbeat!

Today I had my 17 week check up at the doctor's office and I had forgotten from the last time, that it was at this appointment where I was able to listen to the heartbeat for the first time. I can still remember the day when I went in pregnant with Kaley and was amazed and so taken back by the fact that at just 4 months old, you could hear this tiny tiny heart beating! I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

Today was no different. I am amazed at how much I *missed* during Kaley's pregnancy and how much more aware I am with this pregnancy. Maybe it is because my life is so much different now than when it was before we had Kaley. I am working, but it not my entire focus. I have made more time to spend enjoying each day for what it is instead of cramming work into every spare minute and then feeling spent by the weekend. This pregnancy, in fact, seems to be going much slower than I remember from Kaley's, which is a good thing. I am taking more time to enjoy these nine months and to savour the small changes that are happening each week. Pregnancy is such a magical thing!

Talking about magical, our baby at just 17 weeks old is fully formed with all the major organs developed, the nails and hair have started growing, 32 little teeth buds have formed in the jaw, is starting to suck, is aware of noise and light and responds to touch, the limbs are fully formed, and can frown and squint!

Truly amazing - no wonder they call pregnancy a miracle!

1 comment:

  1. Pregnancy is something that never loses it's mystery and magic. You can never get tired of the miracle that it is. :) So cool that you heard the heartbeat!!! And though it is going a bit slower for you, I can't believe you are already 17 weeks!!! WOW!

    I remember watching a video which showed a simple heart beating at just 18 days after conception!!! It's amazing. So much is happening in there silently.

    ReplyDelete