Thursday, July 19, 2012

One Big Science Project, Fingers Crossed

I was determined this year to make our garden work.  Last year's garden was a colossal failure.  I think we got enough lettuce for one dinner and maybe 10 tomatoes if we were lucky.  I had read a book a couple of years ago, Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, that presented a successful no-fail method and was excited to try it.  Since we got our backyard complete this summer, I knew that I had to dive into this project and see if it could actually work.  And, I'm happy to say that it has so far! Check out our garden...


Okay, so these were labeled "winter squash" bush type at the nursery.   
I'll believe it when I see it, because they look an awful lot like tomatoes:-)


Eggplant
 

Zucchini

Green peppers

Tomatoes

Red Onion

celery

Kale

Our first harvest of the season!

I'm being overly optimistic that all of the plants will grow and actually produce vegetables this year and am really pleased with the results so far.  The best part is that I have had to only pull about 5 weeds the entire summer.  So easy:-)

 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it's all growing so well! You should take a picture of your whole garden area so we can see what you mean about the square foot idea. my garden is doing ok... but though my pumpkin is growing and growing and flowering, i have no little pumpkins started yet!

    ReplyDelete