Friday, September 2, 2011

2 new additions!

Wednesday was a good day in the Coulter house. The girls and I went on mini road trip to visit our good friends down in Toronto for the day and had a great time. Kaley loved playing with the older girls doing dress up, playing house and of course getting her first "tatoo." It was great being able to sit, relax, and catch up on everything that has happened in our lives over the past few months.

When we got home, I had two surprises waiting for me.....a gift from our neighbor and a beautiful new desk that Mark made!

I had been saving up for a piano since the start of the summer, but wanted to pay cash for it when I found what I was looking for. Since I learned on my parents piano when I was little, I knew that I wanted to find something similar to that- you know, being sentimental and all:-) I knew how much it was going to cost to move one and get one tuned, so I had a figure in mind and a goal. Well, my surprise came when our neighbor called to talk to me, and her friend had two pianos similar to what I was looking for. The answer to prayer? It cost exactly as much money as I had saved! I immediately fell in love with the first one that I saw and just *knew* that this was the piano for me. It is in beautiful shape and has a crisp, clean sound to it. Time sure flew, because it was ready to be delivered the very next day!!! So very exciting.


But the fun doesn't end there my friend! Not only was the piano a huge surprise, but Mark also had a surprise for me. I'm a big fan of antique looking furniture, but not such a fan of the price that comes with it. Awhile back, I found some pictures of secretary desks with a flip down lid that I really liked, so Mark asked me to print them off and keep them until he was able to build it. Mark had a week left of vacation in August, so he decided to take that time to build a desk. As always, he is a genius with woodworking and very talented as well. I gave him the look that I wanted, and he got to work. He found a supplier that had rough pieces of beautiful wood available, so he picked up some, used a planer to get them the size he wanted, and then started piecing them together to form the desk. (Hint, hint- If you talk to Mark, he would have a much better description of the process with more technical terms than what my limited knowledge of woodworking can give). And this is the final product!!!






I love both additions very much, as have the girls. Although, on another note, my next challenge it to figure out what to do with all of the brown that we have in our livingroom now- the couch, the coffee table, piano, desk, entertainment unit and bookcase- they ALL have the same shade of brown:-) Oh Shannon- I need you!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment